GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY
TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE
COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.
"ACCEPT the things I can NOT change"
- can NOT change other people
- can NOT control other people
- can NOT "fix" other people
- can NOT make someone happy
"COURAGE to change the things I CAN"
- CAN change my self
- CAN change my attitude toward other people and situations
- CAN set new boundaries with others
- CAN change my "bottom lines"--what I will allow into my life /what I will not tolerate
- CAN choose to disengage from an argument--"let go", stop doing "the dance"
- CAN change the way I react to situation
"WISDOM to know the difference"---Discerning between the things I can change and the things I can not change.
When you have a problem or dilemma, break it down using the Serenity Prayer:
- What aspects of your situation can you NOT change? A spouse, family member or friend?
- Accept that you can not change the other person.
- Next, what CAN you change about your situation? What can you change about yourself?
- Pray/meditate for Wisdom to know the difference between what you can change about your situation and what you can not change.
- Pray/meditate on building the Courage & strength within yourself to change the things you can.